Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Space Race game (1969)

The very first treasure I remember getting from a flea market was this pack of cards, a game called Space Race. When I got it, I was charmed by the astronomical graphics but didn't really understand the historical implications. This was part of a series of educational card games made by Edu-Cards, a division of Binney & Smith (makers of Crayola Crayons). This particular set is from 1969, although this page alludes to earlier editions.


(Click to enlarge)


The box shows a scene of an American moon landing


The first card shows the back illustration of the set. Cards 1-5


The rest of the planets (including Pluto) and the beginning of the penalty cards




My favorite card: 'SPUTNIK' - Lose Two Turns

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the excellent images. I'm researching all the games produced by Ed-U-Games and these are the best pictures of this game I have found. I did find pictures of the original 1960 version of the game, and the card backs are a maroon instead of blue. Most of the early Ed-U-Games had this color, with later versions being blue.

Maria said...

I'm glad that my scans were of use! Just in the little bit of research I did to compile this post, I wasn't able to find very much information on Ed-U-Games or this particular game. That's very interesting about the backing colors. Some of the cards in this set have the colors inverted, but I didn't scan both backs. Feel free to use my images, and thank you for stopping by!

Anonymous said...

I remember this card game from when I was a little kid. I'm glad I was able to find information about it. :-)

Maria said...

Hi Jim! Well, I'm glad I could help! :-D

Roadtrip62 - Don Milne said...

Just wanted to let you know that I completed my research into the Ed-U-Cards company and it's now up on my website (link on my name). I discovered that they changed the packaging on many of their games over the years, as they did on this game. They also changed the card backs, sometimes adding their famous flip movies, but kept the actual cards the same.