Tuesday, November 11, 2008

I Was A Highlights Kid


If my recent series of Halloween crafts from Highlights for Children brought back some fond memories of enjoying that iconic children's magazine, you might have been a Highlights kid! Now there's a website just for you: the official I Was A Highlights Kid, a collection of readers' reminiscences. There are two outstanding reasons to stop by the site: the 'Are you a Goofus or a Gallant?' quiz and, a dream come true for me, 'Write your own captions for Goofus and Gallant' (.pdfs)! You can also enter to win old back issues of Highlights (if you have a specific issue in mind).


As I was looking around the site, I was reminded of the Timbertoes, a family of wooden figures that tackle many of the same issues as you and me. I don't think I truly appreciated this simplistic yet endearing group when I was young, but, as I was reacquainting myself with Pa, Ma, Tommy, and Mabel (and Spot and Splinter!), I was impressed with John Gee's distinctive style. Get caught up in the juicy drama of the Timbertoes at Highlights' exclusive online archive. The complete back story of Timbertoes writers and illustrators can be found on Wikipedia.

4 comments:

Sparkleneely said...

Oh WOW. Does THIS bring back memories! And I loved looking for the hidden pictures, too!!!

Thanks so much for posting this!!!

Maria said...

Isn't it fun? I don't think I appreciated the magazine as much as I should have when I was younger. I remember the hidden pictures!

~~louise~~ said...

I was a Hightlight kid too! I must dig out the bunch of Hightlight magazines I have around here somewhere.

Thanks for the memories...

Millie Motts said...

This is *awesome*! Thanks for sharing!