Tuesday, November 18, 2008

A Cheese Happening


The title of this article, the last one from the October 1955 Family Circle that I'll be sharing with you, is Snappy snacks with Cheese. If that doesn't sound like a little bit of paradise, I don't know what does! Author Nancy Lynn's all-consuming passion for cheese is like a torch that lights the way from beginning to end. Photographs by Bernard Gray, one of the greatest mid-century food artists.


Deviled Deckers is the height of temptation: melted swiss cheese and deviled ham cubes. Escaping the hellfire for a little slice of bliss. Like most sins, these are great paired with shrimps!


Now, this is a fon-do! Meet the seductively smooth Paprika Rabbit, a heady concoction of process American cheese, bacon bits, and paprika! Spoon it over a double-toasted English muffin, and you've got yourself a dish of molten warmth for a chilly Autumn evening.


While a fine selection of fruit and cheeses is a classy end to any dinner party, it would probably be best not to indicate that this course is actually called Fruit 'n' Cheese. I suppose we should be happy it's not Froot 'n' Cheez, though.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bless you for having this blog! Just found it tonight and will be a regular visitor. I especially appreciate all the arts and crafts photos you post. I’m a big fan of the 50's esthetic.

Maria said...

Megan,
Aw, thank you so much for your kind words! I can't believe how many people are enjoying these old images, and it's a thrill to be able to share them! Thank you so much for reading!

Lidian said...

I wonder if Yoko Ono ever had a Cheese Happening? It might go with all the grapefruit she was obsessed with. Though really apples and pears go better with cheese.

Sparkle Plenty said...

Is the last photo of the "Minute Fix Dessert"? I'm really hoping so because that line struck fear into my heart. I was kinda picturing a shotgun wedding of sponge cake and pineapple cheese-in-a-glass topped with karo syrup: "A quick and easy take on an old favorite, this pineapple RIGHT SIDE UP cake is sure to please husband and kids alike!"

~~louise~~ said...

Hi Maria,
This post is just perfect for Mickey Mouse's Birthday which is Today! I hope you don't mind if I "borrow" the link.

You have quite an assortment of cookbooks. I love that you share...