Saturday, March 01, 2008

Encyclopedia Repulsica, vol. 8 (San-Sea)

We've made it to volume 14 of the Family Circle Illustrated Library of Cooking! Volume 14 is the coveted San-Sea edition of the series, which includes delicacies made from the fruits of the surf as well as various foods coated in sand.


It is often stated that the modern hors d'oeuvres industry has never achieved the level of inventiveness of the 'good old days' of hors d'oeuvres design. Here is picture proof. Here we see a display of the 'Sea's Bounty.' That is, indeed, Glazed Tuna-Salmon Mold decorated with radish scales, a green pepper caudal fin, and a green olive eye. The cantaloupe formation is reminiscent of the maw of some bloodthirsty undersea creature. Schools of deviled eggs and stuffed mushrooms teem around it for protection.


On a more appetizing note, here's a toasted sandwich of grape jam and honey mustard. Mmm.


This really is a peanut butter and lettuce sandwich. With a pickle on top. Really.


Here is a hot crustacean band, or another view of the Glazed Tuna-Salmon Mold. I love how it's completely encircled by a champagne-colored gelatin. Is that really necessary? Does the gelatin increase the palatability somehow? Also nice is the Lobster Salad Supreme (that's the stuff spilling out of the poor lobster)!


Finally, Stuffed Lobster, 'a snappy seafood salad made of frozen lobster tails and a bottled French dressing.' I actually thought the lobster tails were stuffed with roasted marshmallows. The cucumber mold is the perfect complementary touch!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

you know, after seeing the peanut butter + lettuce w/pickle sandwich photo, and reading the various comments on metafilter about it, why, I think I'll have to try it!

I'll let you know how it works out...

shandon said...

My mom used to make PB & lettuce sandwiches (no pickle, though) for us to take to school in our lunches. They didn't taste bad, but they seemed pretty lame compared to my friends' lunches.

Maria said...

anonymous: I'm still not brave enough to try the PB&Lettuce, but it was almost heartening to read how many have had, and enjoyed, them. If you try it and survive, let me know if it's worth trying!

shandon: I guess it's not the flavor that turns me off. I think it's the added leafy crunch. Lettuce doesn't have much of a flavor, after all. But, pickles..?! I can sympathize with the potentially embarrassing lunches, though. I tried to hide many a Spam sandwich from my unknowing friends!

Sam43 said...

My mother made these for me as a kid, she was a full blooded American born Finn (from Minnesota). I suspect this sandwich has a similar ethnic origin. I still "crave" one from time to time. I make them by: spreading butter on one piece of bread, then spread (yellow) mustard on top. On the other piece of bread spread the peanut butter, lay on pieces of iceberg lettuce, salt and pepper, put together and enjoy.

Maria said...

Yikes, mustard and peanut butter? I have a Finnish friend; I'll have to ask her if she's ever eaten anything like this!

Unknown said...

Try peanut butter, cream honey, lettuce, salt and black pepper. Sounds gross but it's awesome!!!