Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Pumpkins With Multiple Personalities



I get weary of same-faced pumpkins year in, year out. They all have those same triangular eye sockets and toothy gapes. Sometimes I can't tell them apart, and when I mistake Roger for Beverly, I can tell Roger gets pretty steamed. This year, you can avoid confusion by giving your pumpkins different expressions. The pumpkins who have been more forgiving of your bad memory could have welcoming grins or flirty eyelashes. But you can punish all those pumpkins (the Rogers of the pumpkin patch) that have held grudges with frightful grimaces of pain, sad eyes denoting an eternal melancholia, or a mocking leer that will encourage the local hoodlums to kick them or hurl them into the street. This guide to facial features is from the 1963 book Jumbo Holiday Handbook, a Highlights magazine publication.


Here's a crafty idea from a Miss Langenberg, the Happy Witch Decoration. It's worth a try, if only for the enlightening 'how to make a witch look happy' instruction (click picture for full article): 'draw the corners of her mouth pointing upward.' A ha! Those snaking laces making up her torso are supposed to be 'skeleton ribs.' It's baffling how she could be so happy whilst her innards are on display in such a macabre sort of way, but, after all, it is Halloween!

8 comments:

~~louise~~ said...

I'm telling you Maria, your choice of ads just cracks me up. Ribbon as skeleton ribs. More comforting to hug I suppose. Can you see my pumpkin grin? It's crying why why why??? Thanks for sharing...

~~louise~~ said...

P.S. Once again I can't email you back with the noreply thing in blogger. I think it can be changed somewhere in preferences but I'm not quite sure how. I may have a partial solution...my email is acalenda {at} gmail dot com.

Sparkleneely said...

I am TOTALLY using this for my Jack O'Lantern... except my skill set is pretty much triangles.

the witch is scary! Sweet face and exposed ribs? WEIRD!!! :)

Maria said...

Louise, these pictures just seem to find me, and they're too good not to share! (I'll check that out!)

Karen, that's still more than my skill set! Maybe different types of triangles would still achieve different personalities.. I don't know how hard that would be, though!

Yeah, who knew Highlights was so morbid?! I wonder how many children the witch craft scarred!

Steven Altis said...

I don't think those are her ribs... that witch is merrily dancing the night away as her intestines unravel in the moonlight!!

Maria said...

Ugh! That's even more disturbing than a happy witch that has flesh everywhere but the ribs! I mean, if she were all bones, that wouldn't be so bad, but PART?! Still, dangling intestines is worse! There are some sick people writing for Highlights!

Lidian said...

Maria - what wonderful stuff you find! I love this and you have a wonderful blog - I'll be back!

Lidian

PS - Louise sent me the link,and I'm so glad she did...I am posting about a little depressed pumpkin cookie tomorrow. I just wrote the post, and then came here and I had to laugh, we are both thinking about non-conforming Halloween creatures! :)

Maria said...

Hi Lidian! Thank you so much for visiting! Louise told me about your blog, too, and now I have a new favorite! :-D It's fabulous! I can't believe I didn't know about it until now, and I have a lot of catching up to do!

Ha, I can only imagine what the sad pumpkin cookie looks like.. I can't wait to see it tomorrow!