Monday, July 07, 2008

Underwood Spreads A Feast

A few days ago, I was looking through an empty recipe portfolio, and, tucked into one of the last pages, I found a little booklet that appeared to have never been opened. My eyes lit up when I spied the Underwood devil logo on the cover. The Underwood devil has been the sign of premium quality spreads since 1870, and Underwood has remained the preeminent brand of deviled potted meats. They certainly have always been the favored brand of deviled potted meats in my house! According to the B&G Foods, Inc. website, Underwood has expanded its production to include spreadable roast beef, sardines, and even non-spreadable potted meats. Underwood Spreads A Feast: 30 new recipes from Underwood Kitchens probably dates from the mid-1970s.


Your next banquet can look like this! Scoops of your favorite meat paste sprinkled with greenery and hard-cooked eggs stuffed with Chicken Spread are just a few of the adventurous snacks to serve at your next fĂȘte.


Deviled Ham and the Chicken and Liverwurst Spreads featuring the classic Underwood packaging. Note the pairing of the bedeviled meat pots with the bacchanalian grape bunch. Balanced lunch or infernal temptation?


Sweet and savory paired in unusual ways! These Glazed Ham & Peach Sandwiches will entice the young with their playful pinwheel simplicity. Bonus recipe (in large version): The Breakfast Sandwich (for teen-agers) knocks the Egg McMuffin off its greasy pedestal!


Chicken Go-Rounds - I generally try not to post too many appetizing pictures on the blog, but I can't see how you'd go wrong with the combination of cottage cheese, tomato, and chicken spread. The addition of the avocado background only makes it more mouth-watering!


Totem Pole Sandwiches are a 1970s take on the long-lost art of canapé making. Are they finger sandwiches or kabobs? It doesn't matter as long as you have them sticking out of a dirty planter!

12 comments:

Sparkle Plenty said...

I LOVE IT! (I had an unfortunate addiction to Underwood Devil Spread as a child. I loved the little devil logo and dimly recall the blending of cream cheese and devil spread in an ungodly canape.) My post today (7/7) has a salute to Food With Eyes and Curly Wurly (scroll down to see photos of stuff). I think I found yet another Banana Board booklet! I believe you have one up in a prior post, but this one looks different. Same sassy cartoon style and often heinous recipes, 'though...Cheers, Sparkle

Maria said...

Hi Sparkle! There really was something addictive about these spreads.. I guess it could be some of those secret demonic additives (or 'spices') that made these so good! It has to be a pretty special product to survive such a satanic logo! Blending spread with cream cheese, though?! Is that one of those things that sounds bad but was actually very good?

I loved your post!! Thank you for sharing those cookbooks! I was worried that your Banana Board booklet would be the same one that's slated to be the next post(s) here, but, amazingly it's a whole other one! It's hard to believe there was such a demand for them!

Anonymous said...

Dear Maria,
I just happened to run across your "Underwood Spreads A Feast" post and my jaw literally hit the floor. I totally remember this booklet from Underwood. I too was completely addicted to Underwood Devil Spreads as a child. Part of it was because of that cool looking devil logo. I just love it, and also because I really loved the taste. The booklet your showing here I believe was from 1969, Because I remember that summer I got in the mail. I recall it was being advertised on the inside of the label, and I got really excited about getting one. I'm pretty sure they wanted 0.25 cents for it at the time. I remember waiting for it to come in the mail. It was like getting a cool toy from some cereal that you had to send away for. I recall when I got it, I took real good care of it and carefully turned the pages as to not crease it. When I was finished looking at it, I would carefully put it in my Mom's recipe drawer. After a few years, I remembered I wanted to look at it again, but some how it got lost. Man, was I mad. That happened in the early 1970's and I never saw the booklet again, till now when I ran across your post, tonight. Thanks so much Maria for bringing back a childhood treasure from my past. It's like even now, when I have a Underwood Chicken Spread Sandwich on fresh white bread, I can't help but feel flooded with all those fantastic childhood memories. Thanks again!

Bob

Maria said...

Hi Bob,

I'm so happy to be able to reconnect you with a childhood memory! I can definitely relate to the Underwood addiction. I don't know how many cans of the chicken spread I went through each week! Thank you for the information about the date of publication. It's been a while since you wrote this post, so I do doubt that you'd check for a response, but.. I actually have two copies of this booklet and both are in perfect condition. I would be willing to send you one of the booklets if you are really interested.

[Offer only open to the Bob of the previous comment! Any requests for or offers to buy items posted on the blog will be ignored and removed.]

Anonymous said...

Hi Maria,
I saw your blog again today and saw your comment. (I kept it in my favorites because it's so cool, and I can just click right on to it) Are you serious about wanting to send me an extra Underwood booklet? WOW! That would be so fantastic! Man, I can hear the Archie's "Sugar Sugar" in the background, already! lol! I would greatly appreciate that very much. I would be willing to pay you for it. I don't know what the value of it would be, but it's the least I can do. Thank you, big time! I'll leave you my E-mail and hopefully we can get together, sometime. Again. Thank you. You are the Grooviest!!
sebringint@aol.com

Anonymous said...

Hi Maria,

Thank you so much for what you have done for me. I am soooo humbled for the fact that you took the time to acknowledge me and my childhood passion for Underwood devil spread. The booklet you sent me was holy grail! Like I said before, you are the grooviest!!

Bob

Maria said...

Hi Bob!

I'm thrilled that you're enjoying the book! It was my pleasure to share it with you!

Maria

Anonymous said...

I too, grew up eating Underwood spreads and loved them. I now use them as an appetiser. I add mayo and some celery salt to give it a little "perk". Althoough it really doesn't need any extra perk.

Love, love, love it!!

Maria said...

I love it, too! I hadn't had it for a few years, but it's one of the few foods that I loved as a kid that tastes as good as I remembered it!

Lenka Reznicek said...

Underwood spread with cream cheese must be a "thing" - the company has a recipe on their website called "Underwood Snack" that's a blend of deviled ham spread, cream cheese and pineapple: http://www.underwoodspreads.com/underwood/recipes/underwood_snack.pdf

(P.S.) thanks for posting this - loved Underwood deviled ham as a kid!

Maria said...

Ooh, I don't know about that recipe, Lenka! I wonder if it's their take on something Hawaiian.. Every once in a while I have such a hankering for Underwood spread and, I have to say, it's one of the few things that I used to love as a kid that tastes as good as I remember it tasting!

Anonymous said...

I have a strange addiction to the deviled ham. The only way I've ever eaten it is on crackers, sprinkled with crushed red pepper. So I decided to try the chicken spread and I've got to say, I think it's terrible. I mean really, really nasty. Is there a recipe I can use it in to make it taste decent, or should I just see if my cats want it?